Able is a team of designers and engineers that have started, grown, and sold technology companies. Now we pool our skills as a team to build a growing portfolio of businesses. We believe the future of investing will be driven by technical capability and that people with our skills shouldn't have to bet everything on the success of a single startup.
Able is seeking a Director of Design to lead and scale our global design team. As the Director of Design, you'll collaborate with other members of our leadership team to manage the effectiveness of our design efforts across our portfolio of products.
What will be expected of you:
- Coaching — You will need to be exceptionally good at solving problems in design as your team members will frequently look to you for advice. However, you won’t just provide advice, you will take the time to help your team members discover the best solution from within themselves.
- Mentorship – You will foster an environment of strong personal relationships, long-term professional development, and have a meaningful impact on your team members’ pursuit of their dreams.
- Reinforce a strong design culture — a culture that:
- Ignites curiosity and exploration of business and customer needs
- Embraces the importance of continuous, rapid testing and learning
- Understands that we need to make mistakes to learn, but we must make them quickly while mitigating risk
- Values and encourages cross-functional collaboration
- Grow the team — You will be responsible for recruiting and retaining strong talent.
What we are looking for:
- Extensive experience in design, with patterns, tools, and methodologies to draw from.
- A track record of building, managing, and motivating teams. People want to work on your team again.
- Passion for coaching and mentorship; someone who takes pride and delight in multiplying the success of their team’s work and growth.
- Appreciation of how difficult it is to build anything new and the never-ending desire to try anyway.
- 8+ years of experience working as a UX or UI Designer
- 5+ years of experience building and managing product teams
- A portfolio of products that combine technology and design to solve real customer problems while meeting the business's needs
- Experience designing products for business customers, and managing teams of designers who have built products for business customers
Able builds technology products in a portfolio model. We believe that people, teams, and processes are more important than the ideas themselves so, we’ve focused on bringing great people together, and investing in their growth.
We’ve built products in a variety of industries. Everything from media to finance to toys to healthcare. Sometimes we work with management teams to help their businesses grow faster or unlock value using technology. Other times we start or buy businesses outright. Each time, we look for opportunities to leverage technology built at the portfolio-level to drive value faster.
Able is committed to inclusion and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
You must be authorized to work in the United States.